Custom Engine and Valve Cover Rendering
The set of valve and engine covers for a customer was one of the projects that I was more involved with. The customer was not happy with the way his motors looked, and it was decided that a set of snap on covers were the solution. After receiving my mandatory rough sketches and dimensions from MTI’s lead designer, I started modeling the pieces. I utilized a surface model of the actual engine from the engine manufacturer (shown in chrome) to lay the parts out, along with some other measurements I took directly from the motor. Using Solidworks and the manufacturer’s surface model along with a few modifications, I was able to print out test templates to ensure their fitment.
After the surfacing was finished I converted the parts to fiberglass molds and sent them out to be CNC cut. To provide a secure fit while help dampen vibrations, I devised a mounting system using existing push to fit-to-fit grommets and some other hardware, again using the supplied surface model and my own measurements.
When the molds arrived they were sent to fiberglass and laid up. Next, after removing the parts from the molds, the flanges had to be ground down and smoothed while finding any pinholes that would ruin the paint. After everything was finished, the new rubber mount brackets were fastened using Plexus and they fit just like the picture shown below. All of the hoses were perfectly centered in the engine cover and the valve covers look like they were custom made by the manufacturer with cutouts for ignition wires and valvetrain vents.
Check back for actual installation pictures.